GENERAL ASSIGNMENT REPORTER (AUBURN, CA)
Gold Country Media (GCM), a multimedia company based in Auburn, California, is seeking a General Assignment Reporter for its Auburn Journal location.
The Auburn Journal is a fast-paced community daily. We are currently seeking a talented General Assignment Reporter with a deft touch, solid editing skills, creative flair in designing pages, and knowledge of AP style.
Our Editorial division is comprised of talented writers with the ability to report/create informative and engaging content while meeting strict, daily deadlines for both editorial and advertising publications, including news pages, special sections and magazines.
Please note that all applicants must provide writing samples or a link to an online portfolio when submitting a resume.
The responsibilities of this position involve covering a variety of news and require a zest for both features and hard news. The ideal candidate will have outstanding writing and reporting abilities, with adherence to quality standards, and can produce clean copy under deadline pressure. Photo skills a major plus.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor's degree in journalism and professional experience preferred, though recent grads may be considered
• Editing experience for a daily or weekly newspaper is preferred
• Experience with page design is preferred
• Analyze data and make recommendations
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
• Ability to speak effectively with groups of customers or employees
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form
• Ability to work within a fast-paced team of editorial specialists to provide editing and writing assistance on a variety of content pieces. In this role, the General Assignment Reporter may work across multiple channels, including print and digital.
• Have proven success in reporting/content creation
• Skilled in short and long-form writing, big-picture reads and detailed copy editing, conceptualizing story ideas and overall publication direction
• Assist in keeping a detailed record of copy coming in from various freelancers and in-house writers.
• Strong brainstorming skills and ability to conceptualize, write and edit content for features and departments; ability to collaborate with the team in developing story ideas and editorial calendars that meet client needs
• Ability to calmly and diligently juggle multiple, results-oriented initiatives under tight turnarounds
• Research complex subjects and write copy tailored to a target audience (i.e. technical and business writing)
• Ability to make decisions, delegate to and lead junior team members, including associate editors, interns and writing program participants
• Contribute to editing process for various publications or projects; possess strong editing skills and ability to shift seamlessly between big-picture and copy edits
• Collaborate with content, digital and broadcast teams to write and edit copy for web, video and social media projects as needed
• Highly organized with strong project management skills
• Valid driver's license
• Automobile insurance to meet company minimums
Please submit your resume, three (3) samples of your work, three (3) professional references, and salary history and salary expectations/requirements in a PDF or Word format only to CarolG@GoldCountryMedia.com.